Top 10 Mistakes To Avoid When Pursuing a Scholarship
We can all learn from mistakes. Here are the most common ones made by student-athletes (and, to some extent, their familes) when pursuing sports scholarships. Avoid this top 10 and your opportunities will increase dramatically:
1. The athlete not understanding the importance of good grades.
2. Waiting too long to get started.
3. Not having a plan.
4. Having too few schools on the athlete's target list.
5. Assuming college coach will find the player.
6. Assuming a high school or club coach will get a scholarship for the athlete.
7. Assuming athletic scholarships pay for everything.
8. Feeling college coaches will think they are pushy if the athlete contacts them.
9. Not taking enough visits before senior year in high school.
10. Believing everything is true that coaches say about their programs and the athlete's future with them.