Heavy Metal Reigns for Hockey Players’ Entrance Music
- ACDC’s Thunderstruck. "I hate when arenas play rap. It’s so not hockey…"
- Benny Hill’s theme song Yakkity Sax.
- Black Tide’s Warriors of Time.
- Black Eyed Peas’ Tonight’s Gonna Be a Good Night.
- Elton John’s Saturday Night’s All Right for Fighting.
- Genesis’ Turn It On Again. "Perfect theme music."
- Hush’s Fired Up.
- Metallica’s Enter Sandman.
- Metallica’s Seek and Destroy. "A very high energy song that just feels like hockey."
- Nickelback’s Animals.
- Queen’s We Will We Will ROCK You!
- Republica’s Ready to Go. "Starts slow and rocks."
- RUSH’s Tom Sawyer.
- Steel Dragon’s Stand Up and Shout from the fictional band in the motion picture Rock Star.
- Survivor’s Eye of the Tiger from the Rocky soundtrack.
- The Prodigy’s Breathe.
- The Zambonis’ Hockey Monkey.
- Van Halen’s Right Now.
Now that you have a peppy song running through your head, our top picks with links to the songs follow. Thanks to the generosity of HockeyShot.com, we were able to award $50 gift certificates to our top three picks!
- Metallica’s Enter Sandman: “I’m kind of a stay at home defenseman on my team and it’s my job to put the other team’s scorers to sleep.” —Matt
- RUSH’s Tom Sawyer: “It’s a Canadian group and probably the band with the closest ties of any to hockey. (Neil Peart has his own drum solo version to the Hockey Night in Canada theme song.) This is a great tune that is immediately recognizable to all fans; the opening drum, keyboard and guitar instantly get you pumped up; and Geddy Lee’s voice is minty! If that doesn’t win then I’ll guess I’ll just go with You Light up my Life by Debby Boone!” —Nick
- Hush’s Fired Up* : “My 11-year-old He says this song makes him think about teamwork.” A sampling of lyrics:
My crew is all fired up
Y’all better just wise up Everybody gettin’ sized up
Before we all rise up Start runnin’ your times up Cuz’ when my crew ride up The sky gon’ light up Everybody get FIRED UP!!!
*Don't worry, we have linked to the family-friendly Chipmunks version.
Editor’s Note: Thank you to Kelly Anton with the Grow the Game Initiative for this story.